Wednesday, August 29, 2007

30-05-2007

Hola Sole:

I hope everything is well with you. Thanks for the words of encouragement. It is frustrating - I like being productive and working. As for the Foreign Service, I am planning to take the exam this summer. The State Department is revising the exam and they expect to have it ready by July. I took the written exam a couple of times back in the 90s, but then they would cancel the oral examination because of the budgetary woes - so for a couple of years, they were not hiring. But now is a different story. Anyway, I hope that you can escape the dreary smoggy winter days of Santiago. Maybe a ski weekend in the mountains? P.S. That is great news about Patricia and her baby - you must be very happy for her.

Un beso grande,

Walter


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Pepinot
To: Walter
Subject: RE: How are you???
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 03:23:21 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Walter,
I know how frustrating the process can be - I had to
wait a LONG time for my current job to happen. I do
remember so many times when I thought I was this close
and finally nothing happened...
January and February 2006 where very bad months for
me, even if I already had a job at that time, I was so
bored and sick of it that I was ready to leave to
Spain in September. Suddenly, the opportunity appeared
out of the blue - I already had the tickets booked and
the arrangements done -, and in less than a month it
turned up in a solid offer, and... here I am.

Have you ever thought of working in something related
to International Relations? As far as I can remember,
you got a degree in Chicago that might as well allow
you to make a try in Foreign Service
(http://www.careers.state.gov/), thinking that you
also love traveling and getting to know other
cultures. I'm sure that it must be many job openings
at US embassies and consulates all over the world -
One of my best customs is US Embassy in Santiago and
I'm meeting all the time new officers that apply to
Chile and to other countries: lawyers, journalists,
engineers, etc. Anyway, just for you to consider.

Please don't get down if things don't work out as fast
as expected... try to take advantage of your time
meanwhile, and cheer up yourself thinking of something
that you really want as a reward once you finally get
it! This last always works for me.

A big hug,

Pepinot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home